Friday, August 5, 2011

Itchy all over (5 August)

You know, one of the things we loved about moving to Idaho was leaving the mosquitoes behind. There are many mosquitoes in Scotland. I’m sitting here, itchy all over from the bites and from my healing scabs. I’m practicing my self-control and not scratching myself all over.

But there was more to my day than mosquito bites. Yes, it was my last day of the study abroad. CRAZY! But I couldn’t have asked for a better place to be in. I like Edinburgh.

In Edinburgh there are three hills formed by ancient volcanoes: castle hill, where Edinburgh Castle is; Aurthur’s Seat, where we walked to last Sunday and took pictures of the city; and Calton Hill, a smaller hill with monuments and a good view. This morning, I hiked/ran up to Arthur’s Seat again. Then I ran down and ran to Calton Hill. Then I ran back to the flat and learned that Chrisse wasn’t back yet, so I ran back toward Arthur’s Seat to meet up with her. It was a good run . . . I was gone about an hour and a half, and I felt like I got to experience more of the city before all the tourists were out.

I don’t think that I mentioned that we came right at the beginning of a three week festival called Fringe. It’s an “arts” festival, apparently focused on comedy, and it’s the largest of its kind in the world. According to our tour guide from yesterday, it’s when all the crazies of Edinburgh come out. It’s true.

Chrisse, Kathryn, and I went out before the streets got way too busy. We first went to the St. Giles Cathedral. It’s not a real cathedral because they don’t have an archbishop, but it was still really pretty. I particularly liked the stained glass in this cathedral.

We next went to the Writer’s Museum, a small museum about three important Scottish authors: Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott, and Robert Louis Stevenson. It was fun to learn more about their lives and their works. Now I feel motivated to read more of them. I wrote down some good quotes that were on some of the plaques. One from Stevenson was really interesting to me because it caused me to reflect on this study abroad experience:

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of out life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints.”

I’m not sure that I agree with him 100%, but I was thinking about that: the real experiences I’ve gained on this trip haven’t been because I’m going to certain places, but because I’m going. The value lie in the journey itself.

After lunch and a few other stops, we went to the Scottish Parliament. Lori had organized for us to have a free tour and it was awesome. I gained an appreciation for their government, for the move toward independence, and for the parliamentary system in general.

Scottish Parliament assembly room. Thus parliament building was just made in 2005, so it looks really modern. They really focus on having lots of windows and they broadcast everything so that it's clear that they are working with the people and the public feels free to be involved.

Then we rushed to our final banquet—we all had dinner together and then watched a slideshow of photos from the whole trip. It was really fun to be with the whole group again. We have learned so much together. Dr. Anderson and Dr. Gardner made many of us cry as they shared their closing thoughts and then we all gave hugs and took more pictures (as if we don’t have enough of each other . . . ).

Final dinner

The Gardner boys, who became our brothers. I will miss them!

Edinburgh roommates gone wild

I’ve been thinking about the top reasons I love it here and the top reasons I’m excited to move on. This sounds super trunky, but I think the later gives you an insight into my trip here.

Why I’m excited to move on:
1.      I’m excited to see and talk to family and friends and Ryan
2.      I’m excited to not use the buddy system all the time
3.      I’m excited to eat real food and to cook it and prepare it myself
4.      I’m excited to wash my clothes when they need to be washed
5.      I’m excited to not have to pack a wet towel and sweaty exercise clothes every day
6.      I’m excited to not live out of a suitcase
Sidenote: after these last three points, you might think I smell really bad, but don’t worry about it.

What I’m glad I came:
1.      I learned that I can live out of a suitcase
2.      I have built new life-long friendships and learned from my new friends
3.      I have grown in my understanding of the English language—where it came from, why it’s unique, and why I’m happy I speak it
4.      I have grown more comfortable being in new places and speaking to new people
5.      I have seen what a positive influence a group like this can have on people—others really do notice that we’re good, happy people with values they want
6.      I have learned more about myself—my interests, my abilities, my personality in group settings
7.      I have learned to better appreciate history, art, and individual lives
8.      I have gotten to know some professors whom I really look up to and will keep in touch with forever

And that’s the lowdown. I think on the plane ride I’ll make a list of my most favorite moments on this trip and maybe I’ll post them later. I always think it’s interesting to review and summarize experiences like this.

Well, now I’m off to Germany to be with Nate and Jesse. I’m very excited to see them and the kids. I think I will keep posting a bit on this blog, but probably not as frequently. If you’re a faithful follower, let me know and you can still be my friend when I get back. (I write this simply because I’m curious about who would actually read this entire post to the end.)

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Great job with the blog! I loved the honest descriptions of your experiences and the beautiful pictures you posted. Let's keep being friends when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have really enjoyed following your blog and seeing a bit of what you've been doing and experiencing. I would love to still be your friend when you get back!

    ReplyDelete