Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Les Miserables (13 July)


After class today I grabbed some lunch and then went to see Les Miserables. I have never seen it or read the book, so I was very excited to see it. I was not disappointed! I’m pleased that it’s such a well-loved musical because the message is so good.

Also, I want to share with you something I learned about in class today. Have you ever wondered why the English spelling doesn’t make much sense? Yes, you have. Everyone has. Well, this confusing spelling came about because the printing press came to England in the middle of the Great Vowel Shift, a period of time in which most of the English vowels altered, often becoming more lax. Before the printing press, one word could be spelled 30 different ways—there was no standard. But printing presses bring standardization. Because this standardization came along in the middle of the shift, the vowels were in limbo and many of the spelling decisions were random. (There are other factors, too, but this is a main one.) So next time you’re frustrated with English spelling, replace your frustration with a deep gratitude for the rich history of your language, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment