Monday, June 27, 2011

Traveling to Dublin (25 June)


Today has been awesome! We left Killarney and headed toward Dublin, making two amazing stops along the way.

First we went to Blarney castle and learned about some of the Irish superstitions (there are many). Blarney is an Irish word that refers to smoothing, flattering, and cajoling talk. If you kiss a certain stone, you get the gift of gab (which means that you have blarney). When it came time to kiss the rock, I opted not to, mostly because I’m not a very superstitious person, because I don’t really want the gift of blarney, and because it seemed kind of disgusting to kiss the same rock as millions of other people. In the line I met some wonderful German women. I enjoy talking to so many different people! It reminds me of Temple Square and I’ve come to realize what skills I gained there: I can converse easily with people who are not comfortable with English.

Blarney Castle with Kathryn (she had been my roommate for the previous two nights)


Anyway, after the castle we walked around the poison gardens, a garden full of plants that can be poisonous (depending on how they’re used). For example, there was mandrake, rhubarb, tobacco, and a bunch of other plants. It was interesting. We walked around town a bit (I purchased my first Irish icecream), and then continued on the road.

About an hour later we got to the Rock of Cashel, a ruined church. It is important in the history of Ireland because it has to do with the story of St. Patrick and when he chased out a devil. It was so beautiful! There was a lovely cemetery and an incredible view of the Irish countryside. I loved it.

The cemetery at Rock of Cashel


We then continued on to Dublin, about a two hour drive. Peter, our bus driver, told us more about the history of Ireland and how they gained their independence I had heard a lot about it before, but never really connected with it. After having been in Ireland for a few days and knowing some Irish people, I have become much more interested in their history.

Dublin is a pretty big city. We are excited to explore the churches and museums over the next few days. We’ll be staying in a hostel for 4 nights. We have twenty of us and two rooms, each with five bunk beds. It’s a big slumber party! Girls only.

I’m very excited to go to church tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment