Friday, June 24, 2011

Dingle Peninsula (24 June)

Today was a wet one. My goodness—it never stopped raining! It started out dry, which was perfect—I ran 5 miles in the Killarney National Park. It was beautiful! And I got to know a few people better.

Today we went back to the Dingle Peninsula, this time to drive the route Lori, Suzanne, and I had biked (driving was a lot faster than biking). It made me so grateful that we had biked it when we did because we had seen so much more while biking AND it had been a beautiful day (after the rain). We tried not to rub it in to the rest of the group.

While on the busride today we stopped at a few places and learned more about them. For example, we passed the Beehive Huts, which are about 5,000 years old. They are human-built huts that look like beehives. They didn’t use mortar and the huts still stand! The huts were airtight and a pretty good way for fishermen to live on the peninsula. Some of them are located on the property of an old woman who charges two Euro to look at them. Right after our driver, Peter, told us about her, a guy from another tour bus stepped on her driveway to take a picture. Immediately she comes out of her house, shaking her fist and yelling at the guy. Ha ha.

Anyway, we went down to one of the beaches on the tip of the peninsula. It was definitely the most beautiful beach I’ve ever been on, but the wind was terrible! It was so funny seeing the twenty of us try to fight against the wind and get down to the water. But we made it and it was so much fun.
The windy, beautiful beach (the boys are the Gardner's sons. They are awesome.)

Eventually we made it back to the town of Dingle so we could eat and look around. We went to the bank, went to Finn McCool Surf Shop (in memory of nephew Finn), and ate fish and chips. Even though I really don’t like greasy meals, I knew I had to try fish and chips (chips = fries) once while in the British Isles. It was good, but greasy as I expected. We eat the fish with vinegar and salt. Anyway, it was a good experience!

We were regretting having a full three hours to look around Dingle because it was so windy and rainy. In Ireland, rain doesn’t fall down: it falls across. We were completely soaked. I don’t know how people do it! I was thinking about the missionaries who serve here—yikes! They must be wet and cold all the time.

As we drove back to Killarney, we could see water gushing from the hills and into the ocean. There were huge puddles on the streets, and streams formed down many of the fields. It was insane to see how much water can be dumped in a day! Yesterday on our boatride, the lake guide had told us that the lake could rise a few feet within a few days and now I can see why.

We got back to the hotel and I showered and drank HERBAL tea to get warm. I’m better now. I had a real Ireland experience today!

I realize that I haven’t told too much about the local culture. In general, families here are about 4 children. Back 20 or 30 years ago, they would be between 12 and 20! Huge. People generally stay in the areas they grow up, and the agriculture, tourism, and “communications” (actually referring to the many software companies here) make up most of the employment. (This morning I ate breakfast at the table of the bus driver and got to ask a lot about the culture.) The pubs are the social centers of the city. It’s where everyone goes at night. The pubs are also restaurants, so we sometimes go there to eat. It’s a different environment than we’re used to, but it’s part of Ireland! The people here are all so nice, though. They are willing to answer our questions and give directions all the time.

Tomorrow we head up toward Dublin and we’ll be there a few days. I’m excited for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment